The Old Royal Naval College is the architectural centrepiece of maritime Greenwich, described by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) as being of "outstanding universal value" and reckoned to be the "finest and most dramatically sited architectural and landscape ensemble in the British Isles". The site is managed by the Greenwich Foundation for the Old Royal Naval College (Foundation), set up in July 1998 as a Registered Charity to "look after these magnificent buildings and their grounds for the benefit of the nation". The grounds and some of its buildings are open to visitors. The buildings were originally constructed to serve as the Greenwich Hospital, designed by Cristopher Wren and built between 1696 and 1712.
Most of the building are now occupied by the University of Greenwich but the Painted Hall, which stood empty until January 1806 when the body of Admiral Lord Nelson was brought here to lie in state, is open to the public as is the Chapel of St Peter and St Paul opposite.
To get there from the Americana; take the Jubilee lind southbound from Baker Street to Canary Wharf and change to the DLR. Take the DLR southbound to Cutty Sark, the museum is signposted from there.