The Foundling Museum tells the story of the Foundling Hospital, London's first home for abandoned children and of three major figures in British history: its campaigning founder the philanthropist Thomas Coram, the artist William Hogarth and the composer George Frideric Handel.
This remarkable collection of art, period interiors and social history is now housed in a restored and refurbished building adjacent to the original site of the Hospital, demolished in 1928.
It was established as an independent organisation in 1998 by the childcare charity the Thomas Coram Foundation for Children, which today it is known as Coram.
The Museum has two principal collections: the Foundling Collection and the Gerald Coke Handel Collection.
The Foundling Collection relates primarily to the history of the Foundling Hospital between its foundation in 1739 and its closure in 1954.
The Gerald Coke Handel Collection
The Gerald Coke Handel Collection relates to the life and work of the composer George Frideric Handel. The collection was assembled by Gerald Coke and includes manuscripts, printed books and music, ephemera, coins, medals and art works from the eighteenth to the twentieth century.
The Coke Collection is the largest privately held collection of Handel material and a major international research collection. It was permanently allocated to the Foundling Museum by the British Government in December 2008.
The Foundling Hospital Archive
The Foundling Museum not only showcases the Foundling Collection and the Gerald Coke Handel Collection but most importantly tells the story of the 27,000 children who passed through the Hospital between 1739 and 1954.
While some important documentation dealing with the children's lives is on display at the Foundling Museum most is contained in the Foundling Hospital Archives housed at the London Metropolitan Archives.
To get there from the Americana; go to Baker Street underground station and take the first train from platform 3 or 5, they all go to Kings Cross St Pancras. Judd Street is on the southside of Euston Road and it is about 400mtrs from Euston Road to Brunswick Square.