The Churchill War Rooms is a historic underground complex that housed a British government command centre throughout the Second World War and the Churchill Museum, a biographical museum exploring the life of British statesman WInston Churchill. Construction of the Cabinet War Rooms, located beneath the Treasury building began in 1938 and became operational in August 1939, shortly before the outbreak of war in Europe. They remained in operation throughout the Second World War, before being abandoned in August 1945 after the surrender of Japan.
After the war the historic value of the Cabinet War Rooms was recognised and in the early 1980s the Imperial War Museum was asked to take over the administration of the site, and the Cabinet War Rooms were opened to the public in April 1984, changing its name to the Churchill War Rooms in 2010.
To get there from the Americana; take the Jubilee Line southbound from Baker Street to Westminster. The museum is signposted from there.